Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's been a long, long time...

Hello loyal readers and home remodeling lovers. This is Mitch signing in for the first time. I have asked Aubrey to update the blog, and after so many times of her simply saying "You do it!" and me saying "Maybe I will!" as an unheeded threat, I've finally decided to update this myself.

Well a LOT has been done, but I do not think I'll be able to update everything at once. So consider this part one of the catch-up blogs.

Aubrey finished the Upstairs bathroom blogs, but while that was being finished, we continued pulling our hair out trying to figure out how to fit a kitchen into the space that we had downstairs. After several scrapped ideas, we finally bit the bullet and met with and finalized plans with a Certified Kitchen Designer. (Yes, there is such a thing).

He came back with a plan that we would never have considered and the more we thought about it we decided to go with his plan (I shall not be revealing that plan in this post though-- we'll save that for the big reveal later).

We did a lot of preliminary meetings, figuring out the cabinets, deciding on the placement of the sink and stove, ordering our appliances we finally had a day for demo planned for June 15.

BUT - before we could do that Aubrey found out a way to first bring some life to No. 92 before we brought about so much destruction. New York City is in the middle of an initiative to plant One Million Trees and they were giving away trees to residents of Forest Hills on the weekend of June 12. We showed up an hour before they begun giving away the trees and were 25th in line, but since they had over 100 trees, we were guaranteed to get some. We chose the Cherry Tree and the Plum Tree since we had just had to chop down a dead Weeping Cherry Tree and the Plum tree had such beautiful purple leaves that we couldn't resist it as a compliment.

It was even better when the City of New York handed me a tag with a certificate of the name of my tree. They are trying to name each tree after someone famous from the section of New York they were in. When I picked up the Plum Tree and they handed me a tag with Forest Hill's famous son closest to my heart, I knew she was mine. That's right: My tree's name is none other than Peter Parker.

Next up: Demo!

No comments:

Post a Comment